There are a few key principles when it comes to choosing the right subjects;
- If you like and have enjoyed a subject or two so far then jot it down first on a “My LC Subjects” list.
- What career or course currently appeals to you – write it down on a separate “My Careers/Courses” list. Now go see if there is a ‘specific subject requirement’ – this means you must have it in your Leaving Cert. eg for the degree in Nutrition & Dietetics you must have Chemistry. You can check for any subject requirements on Qualifax, Apprenticeship & CareersPortal.
- Sometimes it’s just wise to be brave and take a subject in the Leaving Cert rather than avoid it, this is especially true when it’s listed as a significant part of the college course you’re aiming for.
- Be careful about listening to others ‘opinions’ about a subject – it’s better for you to get information yourself, try the ‘School’ section of CareersPortal – select ‘Leaving Cert’ section and click on ‘Leaving Cert Subjects’ descriptions. If you have further questions it might also be helpful to talk to the teacher.
- Look at what you’d be learning and consider the skills involved with each of your preferred subjects. Be honest with yourself as to your suitability for it – will it build on your strengths or will you have to put in a lot of extra work to do well? We all learn differently so the important thing here is that you know how you learn best and how committed you are to it. The insights from aptitude tests and skills questionnaires can be of help with this if you are unsure – we can help with all of this.
- It makes sense to bundle 2 or 3 subjects together if you have an interest in a particular area – this can better prepare you for what’s ahead i.e. consider taking more than just one Arts/Humanities or Business or STEM subject to give yourself a much better base for a course/career in that sector which interests you most.
- Your successes will come from your attitude as much as abilities and your willingness to do whatever it takes will come from your drive to learn. After all, it’s very important to enjoy a sense of challenge in the subjects you decide to do.
Be smart, start now to become more informed so you can make the right LC subjects choices.
If you feel confused or overwhelmed or you feel you just need a bit of help call for a free 15 minute initial consultation BOOK NOW