Decided you want to become a Physiotherapist?
What alternate routes are available to those who are committed to their goal but don’t get an offer for the undergraduate course?
- One option is to take a course taught through English at a European university – checkout EUNICAS and note how many are at lower fees!
- Not on the cards? Here are some alternatives and these back-up plans can be a dream-saver – you need some insurance options. Identify the closest courses which are of similar study to Physio and serve as a good foundation. Then check/ask if they’re acceptable to the university of your choice as broadly scientific enough for entry to Physio at a later stage – either advanced entry to 1st or 2nd year in an Undergraduate degree or accelerated intensive Professional Masters (pre-registration) conversion course.
So your list might look something like this (in order of relevance);
- Physio (your TOP choice, at as many Uni’s as possible)
- Athletic Therapy & Training, Sports Rehabilitation & Athletic Training, Physiology & Health Science
- Health & Performance Science, Sports Strengthening & Conditioning
- Sports Science, Sports & Exercise/Health Sciences, Sports Science & Physiology or even Health & Disease
- A broad Science degree with Biology in 1st year and stated Degree Specialism in either Physiology or Anatomy plus other useful secondary subjects like Biochemistry/Chemistry/Physics
Your insurance options do not all need to be at the same level – you can choose to take them at a lower lever with the ultimate aim of moving up the academic ladder to your goal. You could take one at Certificate or Diploma level, or perhaps avail of the Further Education to Higher Education routes – if you choose the latter make sure that your FE/FET/QQI course is accepted (& relevant) for the HE course of your choice, eg a Physiology/Anatomy based course.
If you struggle to find the information you need then ask your friends, family or Guidance Counsellor for help (we all need a hand at times) and then talk it through with them.
This list is a guide only – there could well be other routes which you should investigate.